Sunday, January 22, 2012

Anxiety & Mania

"Dad! Mom is acting weird again and she's bothering me!" is a common phrase our oldest son, who is 13, usually hollers to my husband. He quickly tries to intervene before I become full blown manic in front of the kids.

I know what it's like to be severely depressed.  I know what it's like to be extremely manic, full of anxiety and paranoia.

Full blown mania starts from some simple, euphoric, happy mood feelings that are called, "hypomania". That is the beginning stage of mania for me.  Hypomania makes me feel full of energy and like I can do ANYTHING. My thoughts and movement are quick as I attack our house and move furniture around and clean like never before. I'm creative, inspired, quick witted, I write and compose music at lightening speed, I love everyone around me, I'm the life of the party and life is more than great! My kids love my wacky, entertaining, spontaneous ways until I get too crazy. 

Going from zero to 60 in nothing flat over absolutely nothing is normal for someone living with Bipolar Disorder. Rage comes on like a caged tiger ready to attack once released. I don't have time to process it or figure out why it came on.  I despise this part of my chemical imbalance. 

A series of adrenal, mania highs from shopping sprees to spontaneous trips to other countries fill a void of craziness. 

Anxiety is tremendously high which triggers an explosion of paranoia and irritability as well as staggered breathing, sweating palms, tremors, chest pains and stomach pains. 

Grandiose thoughts sneak in during full blown mania. I think that I can do ANYTHING!  It's embarrassing to remember those moments or be reminded by a close family member.  Thoughts of KNOWING I have the next great invention or #1 song to hit the charts consume my thinking.

Mania gets worse and it takes a destructive turn into full blown mania. My mind is racing so fast that I get scared because I can't focus on the littles things like driving, cooking dinner, or even just get ready for the day.  I can hardly breathe because it's like I'm running a marathon with my slurred and rapid speech. 

Risky behavior takes over sometimes from driving 110 miles per hour to other bad decisions.

I was teaching a NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) class on mental illness and sharing my story for the Salem Police Officer's "Crisis Intervention Training" a few months ago and one of the police officers asked me, "How, as police officers, can we tell if someone is intoxicated or just manic?"  What a great question!  All in all, I told them that it was a hard call but sometimes you may have to have that individual simply take a drug test or alcohol test to find out.  The symptoms are so similiar.  Unlike drugs or alcohol, Bipolar Disorder is something that is uncontrollable and not a character flaw, but an actual physical illness that is a chemical imbalance.  An illness like heart disease or diabetes.

Mania sounds fun at first during the hypomania phase, but then it turns into a torterous stage with Bipolar I Disorder.  Thoughts of suicide creep in....not because you want to die, but because you can't handle the pain anymore.  Self-destruction seems inevitable and you want it to end, so rational thinking goes out the window and you are overcome with paranoia which can lead to psychosis (seeing or hearing things that are not real).

My paranoia can be about what people are saying.  I see everything, every move a person makes through body ltheir body anguage...all within seconds of when they start talking to me.  The littlest thing from the tone of voice one uses, to the way they tilt their head when they talk to me.  You could give me a compliment and all I would hear is a negative remark.  Paranoia equals distorted thinking.

It's hard to articulate any of this when you are in the midst of it all and that's why it's so important to take my medication and check in with my psychiatrist who has been terrific and perfect for me for the past 12 years.

My medication has changed quite a bit because I am super sensitive to many of them, but for the past 10 years, Lithium, Depakote ER and Zoloft have kept me stable. When psychosis hits in times of trauma triggers, I then take Haldol which works the best for me.  And for my anxiety, Alprazolam (Xanax) is what works the best fo me.

My depression and mania used to be a huge part of my life, but I have been pretty stable for the last 14 years.  There is no cure for Bipolar Disorder, so it DOES hit me once in a while and medication can't contain it, but I always know that it's my illness and that "this too shall pass".

I am more afraid of NOT taking my meds than of taking medication.  I like who I am when I am on them....I am "me" and whatever it takes to be "me", that's what I'm going to do.

4 comments:

  1. Linnea, you are an amazing person and I love having had met you! Keep being a great mom and friend!
    Merly Ogden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are doing great, Merly! We think of you all often and miss you tons. Thanks for visiting my blog! Hugs!

      Linnea

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    Nice Post has been shared here. it was fun visiting your this Post. thanks for sharing such article here. i would like to visiting here again in future too. i did get lots of good points from here.
    hypothyroidism

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and for leaving your comments. Hope you'll visit again!

      Linnea

      Delete